Re: [OM] Re: i can change if i have to i guess

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: i can change if i have to i guess
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 17:34:52 -0400

> Wayne,
> I'm assuming you adjusted the dioper adjustment on the viewfinder?
> Personally, I did not like the fact that the viewfinder on the C4040Z
> was way over to the left, instead of the middle of the camera, as in
> a film camera. It made it more difficult to look through. The other
> drawback is that the veiwfinder of most digital cameras are pretty
> tight, 850f full frame or so....this is the biggest drawback to
> digital point and shoots.
>
> -Stephen.

Yes, I adjusted the diopter to where it looks best for me, but it is still a
long ways from the clarity of the OM's or Olympus rangefinders like the RC.
It is kind of like the finder on the XA or MJU (a bit worse really), but
then you expect them to be not so good.
The 85% viewfinder is aggravating as well, though I knew it was that before
I bought it. I have learned to live with the similar problem with the
rangefinder cameras. I thought the screen would be a good work around for
this, as it is about 100%, but it is so awkward to use, especially in
sunlight.
A further problem I didn't fully realize was all the scrolling through the
menus that is required to reach certain functions.
Another problem I didn't fully realize is the fact that the camera is never
ready to take a picture, unlike an OM camera which is always instantly
ready. That is, unless you want to walk around with the thing turned on, the
lens extended, and the screen lit. Even then, the power saving function
kicks in after a certain short time period. If you think you see a picture,
you can't even look through the viewfinder to try framing it (not
practically), and of course not the screen, without first turning on the
camera. And then if you want certain functions, you have to start scrolling
through menus, etc. By then your picture is very possibly gone. So for the
type of shooting I mostly do, it is way slower than using a film camera, and
way less convenient.
Of all the reading I did about them, I guess I never caught on to some of
the basic differences and disadvantages until after actually getting one and
trying it. My recommendation to anyone now would be to borrow a digital, if
possible, and see if it actually fits your shooting needs and style before
buying one.
Wayne