[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #4495

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #4495
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:03:53 -0800

Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 15:11:03 -0500
From: "Mickey  Trageser" <Gad-Zuiks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [OM] Re: i can change  if i have to  i guess

Enjoy them while you can, George. The need for the AA batteries in cameras
is diminishing. Battery technology is putting more power in smaller packages
than when AAs were chosen for earlier Olys and others. Also, the cameras
require less energy with more efficient circuitry. The size and weight of
AAs will push them off the scene very quickly if the trend continues, even
though their capacity climbs as well.
<SNIP>
My wife has the Nikon Coolpix 885 which has a proprietary battery. I was
very skeptical of the small battery's lasting capability, but it proved to
be very good in terms of duration of use and speed of recharging. While on
our trip in NZ, she used it every day all day on the charge from the night
before. As a typical consumer snapshooter, it was perfect for her.

I have a Canon Digital Rebel. Even with the success of the Nikon battery, I
had some reservations in regard to the battery. I bought a spare the same
week I got the camera, not because I had needed it, but just in case. I
haven't needed it yet. I do rotate between them and keep the spare, but I
haven't gone dry in the course of a day yet. This includes a paid 2 hour
photo session of a church congregation for its annual directory. I used the
monitor extensively to ensure eyes were open and the histogram was
consistent. I shot that job in RAW mode which makes huge files. The battery
never got to the low warning stage, which would still leave ample use.

While I had no reason to change the battery in that session, it would not
have been an issue if needed. The proprietary battery snaps into the
compartment which is clear of the tripod head underneath. No need to remove
the camera from the tripod or quick release plate to reload batteries. No
batteries falling out of the compartment. This battery is the size of 2 AAs
in a plastic housing.

I've just taken a full battery and given it a stress test. Filled a 1 GB CF
card with 173 RAW 6.3MP images in rapid succession. Formated the CF card and
followed up with 286 HiRes 6.3MP jpg images with flash. Formatted the CF
card again and ran another 173 6.3MP RAW images, now with full dump pop-up
flash. Still kicking. Ran another 650 1.6MP lores jpg exposures (leaving
room for 786 more) without seeing the battery level drop. I got tired long
before the battery.

<SNIP>

All the best.
- -Mickey

Mickey,
I couldn't agree with you more. I have a D60 that uses the same Canon BP511 proprietary battery your Digital Rebel does. All I can say is they're awesome batteries. I've used very good rechargeable AA's in my C4040 and they don't hold a candle to the BP511. With the BG-ED3 battery grip, I've shot well over 1000 frames in a day with one set of batteries and not the see the battery level drop. George can keep using his AA's if that what makes him happy, but all I can say is that these new proprietary batteries are simply amazing as to how good they are.

-Stephen.
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!