Re: [OM] e-bay reputation

Subject: Re: [OM] e-bay reputation
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 21:50:49 -0800
on 12/30/03 9:35 AM, Gordon J. Ross at gordross@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi All;
>
> 2 things first- since this is an inquiry and it is not negative I'm posting
> openly and second, if you read beyond this point you are duty bound not to
> bid against me on the item!
>
> I am quizzical, my ebay tag is wildcalgary, I put a bid in on an OM 4T there
> is one day left in a seven day listing and I sit all alone, I don't get it
> after bidding on quite a few (I try not to be the overpayer type.) I know
> that the sniping comes at the end and am prepared for that but is there
> something I don't know here? the item is   2974608972 on ebay the seller is
> Walter Lozeski or wps47, I e-mailed the following---

Hi Gord -- Well, I looked at the auction, and I have a couple thoughts. I
like more pictures, and asking for them to send some more is a good way to
gain insight into the kind of seller you are dealing with... I think if you
get more pictures and they look OK (ask for pictures that show the 'four
tiny spots' good) then this might be a good camera. Sometimes sellers sell
all sorts of things and don't know what something really is, although most
'full-time' sellers do some research on the prices at least.

I note that the seller has 1000+ feedback with 98.8 0ood. I'd want to look
at at least the first few pages of feedback (go back a year or so) and see
what the problem comments were... if they are all well in the past, and seem
to have been resolved amicably then I would feel 'cautiously OK' with
dealing with this guy. You want to be sure to communicate with him though,
with this particular ID though.

For $50 items I might not be as picky, but $450 is a high starting price.
I've seen good OM-4T's end for less than that. You are right about the
sniping, but the second-best way to deal with that is proxy-bid your best
highest final offer and leave it at that. The first-best way to deal with
snipers is be one...

I won't be bidding on this one (or much of anything; -damm- I wish I was
working!!) but I hope you're successful at a price you can be happy with.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...