Re: [OM] production info on OM2n?

Subject: Re: [OM] production info on OM2n?
From: "John Hermanson" <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 10:11:17 -0500
Markings would be in red or orange ink, stamped with a pad, if on the back
of the pressure plate.  Factory code in those days would be with a one
letter  like E, H, P etc.  This info wipes off very easily though traces can
often be seen in the metal. My list shows codes for up to 26 different
Olympus assembly plants.  Your "red herring" numbers were written by someone
else, and probably have nothing to do with Olympus production. KGB is not an
assembly plant.   Perhaps it's the initials of a previous owner, numbers
could be his birthdate.

In the early 80's Olympus changed over to a 2 letter code to represent the
factory the item was made at.  TN, HJ, FA, etc.  When they switched to the 2
letter code, info was no longer put on pressure plate.  In OM bodies, it was
stamped in small white letters in the film chamber. This info can be wiped
out during a cleaning, unfortunately.

When production info was on the pressure plate, Olympus would use X - Y - Z
to represent Month 10, 11, and 12 of production. Your E 1 1 numbers could be
January of 1981.  Possibly meaning that your 2N was assembled before new
codes were used.

So on the pressure plate E 7 Y (stamped in line)  would mean Tatsuno (?)
plant, November of 1977. K 6 Z would be December of 1976. Another number
stamped out of line with the first 3 symbols would be the pressure plate
number.

John Hermanson  www.zuiko.com
mail:  omtech@xxxxxxxxx
21 South Lane, Huntington NY 11743-4714