[OM] Use photo bag as a weight to stabilize tripod

Subject: [OM] Use photo bag as a weight to stabilize tripod
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 12:53:49 -0500
Gord,

At 7:57 PM +0000 1/1/04, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 11:19:20 -0700
>From: "Gordon J. Ross" <gordross@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] Forbidden Shutter Speeds
>
>Hi AG
>
>I'm sure there is, a quick fix,  attach your carry bag or case to the tripod
>once its setup- it adds weight, dampening and stability.  I like light gear,
>and I may get dumped on but I was looking at buying a Manfrotto 159PRO with
>a 141RC Head, but although less stable, the Velbon  'Sherpa 250' was more
>what i wanted to truck around so I bought it at about half the price. The
>geared column has a screw at both ends  so I'm trying to devise a bracket
>that I can use on the bottom of the column to attach my carry case as
>ballast- any ideas on this, or is there already something I can use?

I think I've seen a gizmo that does this, being a hook that screws onto the
bottom 1/4-20 screw.

There is also a standard bit of hardware called an "eye nut", which looks like
a metal loop welded to a nut.  I did a Google on " 'eye nut' 1/4-20", and found
for instance <http://www.smithfast.com/regeyenut.htm> where their part number
C-186A will do the job.  There were lots of suppliers listed in the search
results.  They cost about US $5 each.

These eyenuts are all drop-forged and quite strong, being rated for at least
500 pounds.  The yield strength will be a factor larger.  If one wants a hook,
I would just take hacksaw and metal file to one, and make it into a hook.  It
will still be more than strong enough to hold any plausible camera bag.  (Hook
nuts do exist, but are both uncommon and commonly too large for our purpose.)

The half-remembered photo gizmo may be just a standard eyenut with a new name
and bigger price.

Another approach would be to use a "coupling nut" (like a regular nut, but very
long and used to couple two pieces of threaded rod together) and a "machine
screw eye/hook".  These are more common in hardware stores, and can be had in
1/4-20 or 3/8-16 threads.  The coupling nut connects the tripod screw to the
screw eye/hook.

There are, but it's too complex and setup-dependent to be very useful.  My
approach is to use a big, heavy tripod screwed securely to the camera body or
lens (no rubber pads allowed -- too squishy).  It's most important to prevent
angular rotation of any kind.  Displacement, unless gross, is far less likely
to cause trouble.

Joe Gwinn