Re: [OM] Use a photo bag as a weight to stabilize a tripod

Subject: Re: [OM] Use a photo bag as a weight to stabilize a tripod
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 11:47:56 -0500
Gord,

At 9:52 AM +0000 1/3/04, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 19:11:00 -0700
>From: "Gordon J. Ross" <gordross@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] Use photo bag as a weight to stabilize tripod
>
>Hi Joe:
>
>The eyenut looks good and compact, I wonder if it would be strong enough to
>cut a slot in it to slip the strap through or just use a double s hook in
>tandem.

My opinion is that a forged eyenut is easily strong enough to work even if you
cut a piece out, making it into an eyehook.  Assuming a 90% loss of strength
due to cutting the eye ring, one still has a working load of 50#; the actual
yield load will be a factor larger than that.  In truth, far more weight can be
used, even 100# I would guess.  Plentty for a camera bag I hope.

The experiment is cheap, as plain steel eyenuts cost something like US $5.00
each, and stainless costing about US $11.00.

>The Velbon Sherpa 250 by the way is a nice size its tubular alum,
>with good leg clamps, geared column, tilt pan head with a well secured quick
>release that is cork lined-- http://www.velbon.com.au/sherpa_250.html a lot
>lighter and compact than the 'PRO' stuff but more substantial than the
>'digital' tripods.
>
>Thanks Gord
>From: "Joe Gwinn"
> > Gord,
>There is also a standard bit of hardware called an "eye nut", which looks
>like a metal loop welded to a nut.  I did a Google on " 'eye nut' 1/4-20",
>and found for instance <http://www.smithfast.com/regeyenut.htm> where their
>part number C-186A will do the job.  There were lots of suppliers listed in
>the search results.  They cost about US $5 each.
> >
> > These eyenuts are all drop-forged and quite strong, being rated for at
>least 500 pounds.  The yield strength will be a factor larger.  If one wants
>a hook, I would just take hacksaw and metal file to one, and make it into a
>hook.  It will still be more than strong enough to hold any plausible camera
>bag.  (Hook nuts do exist, but are both uncommon and commonly too large for
>our purpose.)

At 9:52 AM +0000 1/3/04, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 19:51:15 -0700
>From: "Gordon J. Ross" <gordross@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] Forbidden Shutter Speeds
>
>Hi John:
>
>There aren't a lot of ships in Calgary, as they find the trip over the
>Rockies taxing- in Canadian parlance you mean hardware store? Seriously I
>will check it out tommorrow, thanks for the tip and the welcome!

There are mail-order chandlers, such as West Marine, who will stoop to ship to
the landlocked.  Just don't tell them why you want the eyenut, and nobody will
get hurt.

Try
<http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=25272>.

The first item, Wichard model  6331, is for 1/4-20 thread screws, and has a
claimed breaking (~yield) strength of 3750#, and costs US $10.59 each.  With
90% reduction, this becomes 375#, which ought to suffice.

The forged non-stainless steel eyenuts discussed above, rated at 520# (0.26
tons) working load; are in fact not significantly weaker than the stainless
steel eyenuts, rated at 3750# breaking load.  In fact, the non-stainless steel
is probably the stronger material.  The difference is the safety factor,
520/3750=0.1387, or about 1/8, a typical factor if human safety is an issue.
One must use hardware at a fraction of its breaking load to ensure long life
and reliable service.

>Gord
>PS.
>I had no idea the list stretched to Oz! How are Dot and ToTo!
>
>From: "John Wheeler"
>You might also consider visiting your local ships chandlery and purchasing a
>1/4" dia 316 grade stainless eyebolt. Exactly the same thing but readymade
>and won't rust.
>Welcome, Gordon and best regards,
>John,
>Sydney, Oz.

This eyenut can also easily be made into a hook with a hacksaw and a file (to
smooth the cut ends).  Type 318 is a bit stronger but somewhat less stainless.
Either kind is stainless enough to achieve eternal life in landlocked places,
far from saltwater.

I much prefer the shape of the Wichard eyenut (with its flat bottom), as it
will impose far less bending load on the tripod screw than the Smith eyenut
(with its pointed bottom).

Joe Gwinn