[OM] US Sales of digital cameras in 2003 Q3

Subject: [OM] US Sales of digital cameras in 2003 Q3
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 12:09:22 -0500
On page 46 of the 3 January 2003 issue of The Economist there appears an
article titled "Has Kodak missed the moment?".  Basically, the article says
that film is dying faster than Kodak expected, with the usual back-and-forth on
the future of Kodak and photography.  Kodak is buying and developing all manner
of digital imaging businesses, but I think that it's far too soon to tell if
they will pull off the transition away from silver.  At least they are trying.

Anyway, for me the most interesting thing in the article was a table giving
sales of digital camera in the US for the fourth quarter of 2003, broken out by
company:

Name    Units   MktShare                Growth from 02Q3
Sony    800k    22.4%           11.1%
Kodak   625k    17.5%           66.7%
Canon   550K    15.4%           83.3%
Olympus 414k    11.6%           13.8%
Nikon   340k      9.5%          58.1%
FujiFilm        270k      7.5%          -3.6%
HP      245k      6.8%          113.0%
Other   334k      9.3%          -85.6%

Total   3,578k  100%            39.2%

So, in 3Q 2003, a total of 3.578 million digital cameras were slod in the US,
or about 14 million a year, and the overall digital camera market is growing by
about 40% per year.  Kodak is the real comer, but Olympus isn't doing so badly.

Joe Gwinn