Re: [OM] Flash for DSLR - info needed

Subject: Re: [OM] Flash for DSLR - info needed
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 08:52:13 -0500
There are a slew of threads on www.dpreview.com in the Olympus SLR forum about
the E-1 vs. the 10D.   You'd do yourself a favor by spending a few hours
reading them.

As I understand the Olympus flash system, it's quite a bit more advanced that
the Canon E-TTL system, but I'm not good enough to detail the differences.
There was a great posting a couple-three weeks ago about the differences
though.

As far as significant differences between the E-1 and 10D, this is what I've
come to believe after reading hundreds of comments and all the user reviews:

What 10D and D100 users say about the E-1:

1. Small, expensive lens selection
  (yes, but prices of D-Zuiko's vs. L or AFS are comparable, and the E-1 covers
an equiv. 28-400 with two, 2.8-3.5 lenses for $450 and $850.  If you want to
use old Zuikos or you have a large stable of EOS or Nikkors, then the other two
cameras are very attractive.  Just remember that Zuikos are only marginally
usable, mainly at large apertures, due to the stop-down requirements.  That
doesn't mean you can't get fabulous results though.  Look at CH Ling's results
to see how the little Zuikos can exel on a 10D.  You don't get access to Image
Stabilization lenses though, which is a deal breaker for many.)

2. Small sensor 5 vs. 6 MgPx
  (yes, but if you print, you throw away about 1 MgPx of a 10D and D100 images
through cropping, so they're really about the same)

3. Limited life of the smaller sensor
  (definitely a possibility, as larger sensors typically mean lower noise and
better quality.  Personally, I trust that technology will allow the 4/3 sensor
to double in density over the next 2-3 years with lower noise.   Only time will
tell in this area.)

4. Higher noise of te E-1
   (Yes, the E-1 has higher noise at ISO 400 and above than the very low noise,
C*non CMOS sensor.  It's really no different than grain, but this is one area
that Kodak will have to work on.)

5. Bayer artifacts - The E-1 has some moire and artifacts in it's current
firmware (see dpreview.com) that need to be corrected.  And the
shading/distorsion compensation where the lens tells the camera the amount of
fall off taks a HUGE amount of processing time and is not practical except for
landscape photos.

6. Inabiltiy to have a film and DSLR combo that use the same lenses -
definitely a negative of the E-1.

What E-1 users say about 10D/D100

1. Better handling - The Olympus engineers seem to have gotten most things
right about the user design, which all of the reviewers agree upon.  If they
can get an immediate-display histogram, that would be the icing on the cake.

2. Easier workflow and out-of-the-camera images.  I've seen about five working
pro's comment that the E-1 delivers much more usable images right out of the
camera.  These previous 10D users spent far less time in Photoshop working on
their images before delivery to clients with the E-1.  This was a MAJOR factor
in a few of their decisions to move wholesale from C*non to Olympus.

3. Better flash system of the E-1

4. Ultrasonic cleaning filter.  The usefulness of this gadget is not proven,
but so far, it's results are good.  I've seen many C & N users complaining
about dust.

5. Compact lens selection.  The ability to have two lenses cover from 28 to 400
is a big plus for me.

Good luck.   For me, I'm about 90% convinced that the E-1 is the way to go.

Skip