Re: [OM] PT article, OM meter color sensitivity

Subject: Re: [OM] PT article, OM meter color sensitivity
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 12:06:28 +0100
Hi, Wayne and all.

>Back to the first point though, his observation that different meters
>have different color sensitivity and I was wondering how the OM-4 meter
>compares, both as a spot meter and possibly the effect of film coating
>color on OTF metering.

I recall a web page about the effect of film coatings on OTF metering --
initally intended for TTL-flash, as is the norm on other brands. I haven't
got the link at hand, but IIRC the short answer was *negligible* effect.
OM's ambient light OTF metering should behave in a similar way, with even
less influence in the case of times much shorter than 1/60 -- most metering
would be done on the first curtain.

Obviously, this only applies for OTF Auto metering; Manual or Spot reading
won't be affected at all by film coating.

>More specifically, I was wondering about
>metering for B&W film, which can have a more extended frequency
>sensitivity. For instance, the Maco's Cube 400c mentioned in the latest
>Shutterbug magazine has extended red sensitivity.

I'm not sure, but I don't think the extended sensitivity would make a
noticeable difference in most cases. Kodak's Technical Pan is also much
more sensitive to red than most other films, but apart from rendering red
as *white*, this doesn't seem to make any additional problem -- this is a
weird film, though.

>1) Do we have any idea what the color response is for OM meters?

I believe it's more or less 'standard'. A few years ago I was testing the
metering of several cameras (an OM-4 included), and most times they gave
comparable readings... except when pointing to a red surface, when the
Cont*x Aria's reading were a *full stop* higher than the other's.

>2) And does anyone have metering related experience using B&W films with
>   OM meters? Should I be concerned, even?

My most used B&W films are quite 'normal' (Ilford Delta 100, Kodak Tri-X)
and haven't experienced problems. I don't think you should be concerned.

Hope this helps,

Carlos J. Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<http://cjss.galeon.com>