Re: [OM] 100 vs. 100

Subject: Re: [OM] 100 vs. 100
From: whunter <whunterjr@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 14:11:49 -0500
Here is a basic approach to the problem which has worked for me with my personal 'RULES':
Rules:
1. NO hammering or impact approach........  Amen.
2. Incremental or measured restoration works; one-shot approaches ALWAYS over shoot.
3.  Use Archimedes lessons!!!!
4.  The glass and the glass and the glass.........

A. An easy DYI: At one time I made with a 3/16" threaded rod and two pieces of acrylic plastic (~ 1cm x 1cm x 1cm) as an 'expander. Edges and bottom of the plastic in contact with glass or finish are polished (light touch with a soldering iron) smooth. The fixed 'end' plastic piece had just a hole partially drilled with offset allowing clearance of the rim. This permits the fixed end of the threaded rod (long machine screw can substitute) to turn, but deep enough to maintain the axis orientation of the rod. The other piece of plastic was drilled through and tapped to the thread of the rod. The unit is positioned such that both plastic contacts are snug inside the rim at 'normal' diameter by turning (DO NOT over tighten) the threaded rod to 'snug'. Rotation / counter-rotation in incremental steps over the 'ding' with gentle tightening of the threaded rod works like charm to incrementally expand and not damage the threads. (The plastic 'bumpers' obviously have the thread impressed into them in this setting. Suggest tape or other protection around the metal threaded rod where it crosses the rim lest damage be inflicted midst heat of the 'battle'.)

B. Variant of the above: When the above gizmo could not be found also created two plastic cubes similar to the above with small holes drilled in the top surface which fit each tip of a large pair of scissors. (Used Pliobond to make sure they did not slip off the tip.) As above, starting at normal diameter on the inside of the rim with rotation/counter rotation, moderate dings can be removed in a minute or two. Obviously the scissors provide a lever as the blades are opened with increasing pressure - - need only one hand to expand.

Care used to protect the finish and the glass with either approach provides a K-I-S-S result for this 'S'. The metals used are fragile, but 'malleable' if the process is done incrementally and without hammering. A small piece of maple, etc., hardwood could be substituted, but be careful of force vectors and wood grain which combine to conspire against you.
Cheer,
Bill