[OM] dented filter rings/wtb

Subject: [OM] dented filter rings/wtb
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 21:53:01 -0500
At 5:25 PM +0000 1/6/04, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 07:47:41 -0400
>From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] dented filter rings/wtb
>
> > Jim Couch wrote:
> >
> > > One other thing to note, the 85/2 uses 49mm filters vs the 55mm
> > > filters used on the 100/2. My "indoor low light" kit consists of  a
> > > 28/2, 50/1.8, and 85/2, a very compact set of lenses that all use 49mm
> > > filters. (Or at least did until the 28 got dropped over the holidays -
> > > now it does not use filters, the filter ring is dented!) :)
> >
> > My 28/2 has a dented filter ring too. I didn't do it, it was one of only
> > a couple of bad 'Bay transactions I've had. What is the wisdom of the
> > list about the best way to undent a filter ring??
> >
> > Moose
>
>I have just taken out a dent on an Olympus RC, that was quite severe. I used
>the method of cutting a piece of wood board to the shape of the outside of
>the lens, then using a hammer with a piece of somewhat pointed wood dowel as
>a punch, and slowly and carefully formed the rim back to meet the shape of
>the wood. To get the exact shape and curve of the lens onto the board, I
>just used a 43.5mm filter as a template, then cut it out with a jig saw.
>My repair is not perfect, as the filter threads were slightly damaged by
>someone else attempting the repair before I started. I can get a filter on,
>but with great difficulty only.

One can file or grind the damaged threads away; the rest of the threads will be
more than sufficient.  To file the inside of a ring, use a diemakers rasp file.
 Actually a stout sharp steel knife will work; one can whittle aluminium with a
steel knife.  A 60-degree edge is best; sharper (more acute angle) tends to get
caught and to gouge.

At 5:25 PM +0000 1/6/04, olympus-digest wrote:
>Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 06:46:29 -0600
>From: "Gary Edwards" <garyetx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: RE: [OM] 100 vs. 100
>
>I've successfuly repaired such dents using two pieces of hard maple.  One is
>cut to match the outside curvature and supports the lens.  The other is cut
>to match the inside radius and tapped gently with a mallet to press the dent
>out.  The result wasn't perfect to the eye, but filters screw in easily.

This method also works well.  A good source of such methods is books on
metalworking for art, such as Kronquist's "Metalwork for Craftsmen", Dover
Publications.  ISBN 0-486-22789-8.

Joe Gwinn.