Re: [OM] [OT]questions on words

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT]questions on words
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 20:01:12 -0800
David Cochran wrote:

The other is, What is "bokeh"?

Shatcho@xxxxxxx wrote:

Bokeh means 'confused' or 'confusion'. Viz 'jisa bokeh' ie jet lag. In this context it refers to the out-of-focus images of the image, specifically the 'smoothness' or otherwise. Certain lenses are reknowned, apparently, for their performance in this respect.
And some for their poor performance. C.H. as posted some bokeh comparison photos <Shatcho@xxxxxxx%20wrote:%0A%0Ahttp://www.accura.com.hk/OM/bokeh.htm> that I find quite instructive. Take a look at his pics paying attention to the background. Some are smoother than others and some just different from each other without one being clearly better.The 50-250mm has a rep for bad bokeh and the test shot confirms it <http://www.accura.com.hk/OM/bokeh/50250.jpg>. Staring at that background could make one bilious.

1. Some say that bokeh is almost entirely a result of focal length, distance and f-stop.
2. Others say the aperture shape is significant.
3. Some that aperture placement within the lens makes a difference.

1. C.H.'s samples make clear that #1 is not true, at least with complex lens designs. Those are significant factors, but not the whole story. 2. One of the bokeh sites on the web, which I hope was among the urls others refered you to, shows that a triangle shaped aperture is definitely different than smoother shapes.
3. I suspect this may be the problem with the 50-250

Moose