Re: [OM] Additional fee for using PayPal

Subject: Re: [OM] Additional fee for using PayPal
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 10:18:03 -0000
I also see what you are saying George - but the law has a view too.
Surcharges for use of credit cards are prohibited in at least some states of
the US - and therefore surcharges for use of Paypal are also prohibited on
that auction site.  EXCEPT that UK sellers can make a surcharge on UK
buyers, so long as the surcharge does not exceed the fee charged to the
seller by Paypal.

From their UK help pages:
"Any seller who lists an item on an eBay site other than eBay.co.uk, or who
accepts payment denominated in U.S. dollars, may not charge the buyer a
credit card surcharge. In the United States it is against the laws of many
states, including California, and the United States' credit card association
rules, for sellers to pass on credit card surcharges."

Piers