Re: [OM] Vibration study

Subject: Re: [OM] Vibration study
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 10:31:07 -0700
At 10:19 AM 1/8/2004 -0700, James N. McBride wrote:
>Naaaaaaaaa.  Vibration and camera movement is of great interest to me
>because it is one of the main problems I deal with in long telephoto work.

[snip]

>My experience is very limited here but if my telescope is mounted
>on my wood deck I can see much more vibration than when it's on good old
>terra firma. That's what I bought the vibration isolation pads for but
>haven't played with them yet.

[snip]

When I and some friends went to the Star Hill Inn in New Mexico in November of
2002, the owner/proprietor had built several custom bases for mounting
telescopes -- they looked like he'd dug a narrow, deep hole in the ground,
placed a Sonotube into it, and then filled it with concrete, finally implanting
a telescope mount in the still-wet concrete at the top of the tube.  Did
wonders for vibration damping, or so he claimed, anyways.

In case anyone's interested, Star Hill Inn's website is at www.starhillinn.com
(be patient with load times -- the site's HTML code is kinda bloated, with
rather big images as well...).

Garth