Re: [OM] Help - stuck filter

Subject: Re: [OM] Help - stuck filter
From: Charles Sdunek <charles@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 17:21:16 -0500
Themost common reason for filters to stick, is that when you try to unscrew them, they flex out of round and bind together. Since one of them is a polarizer you can not use the palm method because it will turn. This is where you press on the flat of the filter with the palm of your hand and turn it so that the ring does not go out of round. If you have one of the original plastic straps for OM with the rubber sholder pad, make a wrap of the strap around one of the filters and pinch it together using it like a band clamp and turn the filter with it while holding the other one. If you have two straps, one for each filter, it might work even better. If you have nothing like this to work with, try putting on rubber dishwashing gloves for a better grip.

Charles

Nick Taylor wrote:

Earlier today I got in too big of a hurry and violated one of my
longstanding rules - - and as expected Murphy's Law proved itself to be a
truism! I screwed a polarizing filter directly into a UV filter instead of
taking the time to first remove the UV filter and put the polarizer directly
onto the lens. Now the two filters resist all of my attempts to separate
them. So now I need help from one of y'all that specialize in bailing out
those of us who shoot ourselves in the foot.

What is the best way to separate two jammed filters without damaging them?

Man with many scars on his foot,

-Nick T.