Re: [OM] Help - stuck filter

Subject: Re: [OM] Help - stuck filter
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 14:35:38 -0800
The small versions of  friction band wrenches can also be a help.

One thing to be aware of is that the 'stuck' is often a matter of galling between aluminum threads. This is not a matter of tightness per se, but of a metal specific reaction (chemical? mechanical? both?) between surfaces in contact. Things to try are varying the angle and amount of twisting pressure, applying varying amounts and frequency of pressure at right angles to the threads to work things loose and even letting it rest between trys. I've had the same problem, worked at it for some time, put it down in disgust, then later had it unscrew with very light pressure. I think more pressure can actually make it worse.

Moose

NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:

ntaylor@xxxxxxx writes:
What is the best way to separate two jammed filters without damaging them?

Try putting a rubberband on each filter and then turning them. Have never had it fail me, yet. That is one of the reasons a couple of rubber bands are found in my kit. The other reason is to hold a handkerchief over the face of my flash.