[OM] LIST ADMIN: CHANGES COMMING UP REALLY SOON

Subject: [OM] LIST ADMIN: CHANGES COMMING UP REALLY SOON
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <omlist@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 23:54:59 +0100
Ladies and Gentlemen,

A number of changes are comming up on to the olympus mailinglist. These
are:

        - The list moves from its current home at SLS.bc.ca, and the competant
          hands of Shawn Wright, to a french hosting provider. This is something
          which has been in the works for a while now, and I would like to
extend
          my warm THANKS to Shawn for hosting the list for so long. His
competent
          hands in keeping zuiko.sls.bc.ca running smoothly has made my life a
          lot easier.

        - The list will no longer run under "majordomo" but "listar" as list
          manager software. This implies that subscription/unsubscription
          procedures change, as does the way of getting digests. I hope it will
          be easier to use -- and there will be new features too.

          I will move all the subscriptions, on the day of the move, to the new
          list, and make sure that a FAQ will be available, detailing the new
          procedures.

        - The new software will provide mechanisms for easier dealing with
          "troublesome individuals" such as the Oben incident.

        - A few additional listees will be able to help with daily
administrative
          tasks, such as subscription/unsubscription problems, bounces etc.
when
          I am unavailable or bogged down with work. This should make the list
          administration run more "smoothly", by having more people available to
          deal with a problem when it arrises. An additional announcement
          regarding this is forthcomming.

        - HTML-postings and attachments WILL AUTOMATICALLY BE REMOVED from
          postings. HTML will, even, be automatically converted to txt. This
          should aid both those using mail-clients where it is difficult to
          post in plain-text -- as well as remove the annoyance of embedded
          html in digests.

          I believe that this change alone should cause cries of joy from
          digesters ;)

        - A more elaborate FAQ for the LIST is in the works. Stay tuned for
          a first draft.

The change is likely to take place as early as mid next week, but will AT
THE LATEST (unless some unforseen problems creep up) will happen february
3, 2004.

Sincerely,

The List Mum

  Thomas Heide Clausen