Re: [OM] R e: Macworld (digital stuff, minimal direct OM content, long)

Subject: Re: [OM] R e: Macworld (digital stuff, minimal direct OM content, long)
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 14:05:00 -0800

On Jan 11, 2004, at 9:44 AM, Stephen Scharf wrote:

On durability, he says that the E1 shutter is designed to exceed 150,000
cycles, and that "only a small number of cameras" are designed to this
standard today. This was my opportunity to ask about the rumors of a
20,000 cycle shutter limit on the E10/E20 to which he said they make no
official statement, but that "most lower cost cameras" (including the
EOS D30, D60, 10D, digital Rebel, etc.) are all designed at a cost price
point and that the 20,000 shutter cycle is the target.

I don't believe those comments from the Oly rep for a minute. I'm very confident in the ruggedness of the Canon prosumer SLRs.

I think that is BS too. No camera manufacturer publishes the design life of their shutters anymore because of liability issues. Pro film cameras commonly had a 150,000 cycle shutter design and lesser slrs frequently had 30K to 50K. Since many DSLRs have been based on film cameras and their shutters have similar specs I would expect that the life would also be similar. Anecdotal evidence on some of the forums bears this out. Additional anecdotal evidence indicates that it costs $150 to 200 to replace the shutter.

One might think that because of the tendency not to restrict shooting with digital because film cost is not involved that a higher life shutter might be desirable. On the other hand no one, repeat, no one is going to be using the shutter in a digital SLR for 20 or 30 years like many of us have with an OM film camera, just because of improvements in digital technology. So shutter life is probably beside the point. Even 20K shutter cycles is roughly equivalent to about 6000 rolls of film which I don't think I have shot in a life time. And a high use pro will probably have moved on to a more current camera before the longer cycle for his pro camera is up.

And storage for a 150, 000 pix, analog or digital, boggles the mind.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA