[OM] Re: C-8080

Subject: [OM] Re: C-8080
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:04:14 -0800

On Jan 13, 2004, at 4:00 PM, omboy wrote:

> Any new information? It is not reported in main DC sites, like
> dpreview.
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> Chris Lee
> Hong Kong
>
>> Olympus announced the C-8080 at CES.  8 meg,  5X optical zoom. That's
>> all I
>> know about it at this point.

I wouldn't really hope for it. There is a physical limit to how small a
pixel can get and provide a clean, noise free image. If you carefully
read the reviews of the new 8 MP Sony it is kind of a disaster. It is
much noisier that the 5 MP 717 it is supposed to supplant and only
really usable at the slowest ISOs. It is also plagued by pixel blooming
and the dreaded purple rim on high contrast edges.  It is obvious why
it was delayed coming to market. Sony was probably trying to get fix
it. And Sony is better than most at getting the best out of a sensor.
More pixels in a tiny sensor is not necessarily better.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA