[OM] Re: SS reels

Subject: [OM] Re: SS reels
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 14:36:40 -0500
At 3:42 AM +0100 1/17/04, Listar wrote:
>From: "John Hermanson" <omtech@xxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Re: SS reels
>Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:52:03 -0500
>

>At one point I inspected my own ss reels with a loupe and found little
>flecks of stuff dried in place.  I discovered that re-using photo flow was
>not a good idea, and a "fresh"  gallon mix of it had developed it's own kind
>of "pond scum."  Yuck.  Mixing a fresh quart of photo flo when needed fixed
>a lot of quality problems.

I've never seen that.  How old was that solution?

>Dad, being a tech rep for Kodak used to see
>these problems all the time.  It was all very interesting.
>Over- agitation could cause darkening at the edges due to swirling of
>chemicals.  More than 5 seconds every 30 seconds can be bad.

I never had any problem with undeveloped edges using stainless steel tanks, but
I always used relatively fresh chemistry.

One can clean stainless steel tanks and reels in an ordinary dishwasher, just
like pots and pans.  Be sure to wash all the chemistry off first.

>Plastic reels were common in our high school photo class, but they had to be
>bone dry for the next class to be able to use them.

I bought a Patersen and an Jobo reel at different times, but found them far
more difficult to use than stainless steel, so they now reside in a cardboard
box in a remote corner of the basement.  My high school darkroom had stainless
steel tanks and reels, probably because they stood up to student use rather
better than plastic.

Joe Gwinn