[OM] Re: Vertical format and heavy lenses -- the Manfrotto solution

Subject: [OM] Re: Vertical format and heavy lenses -- the Manfrotto solution
From: Andrew L Wendelborn <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 21:34:42 +1030
At 1:53 PM -0800 2004.01.17, Moose wrote:

>Yup, the 65-116 uses the same tripod mount as the 300/4.5 and the

Useful to know that. Haven't got a 65-116 (yet).

>Bellows allows easy rotation of the camera body. I don't see the problem
>there. Using other macro lenses without separate tripod mounts does
>require using the tripod to do verticals. I guess I'm fortunate in my
>macro lenses and tripod/head combos in that I have had virtually no
>rotation problems.

One thing I have learnt from this discussion is the enormous variety of
heads, plates etc that I didn't come across when looking around locally
for a tripod. Good information filed away for future purchases -- thanks
to all.

>Flipping to the right (rewind knob up) can help, as the weight of the
>lens is trying to tighten, rather than loosen, the tripod screw, so a

Exactly, as I noted in my first post -- and was pleased to find that this
elbow bracket gives the equivalent of a rotation to the right
(i.e. clockwise).

>change from the 029 head by itself would be an improvement. The 410 head
>has the same potential problem, but that can be solved by redefining
>which direction is front in orienting the body on the release plate.

That can be sort of done on the 029 (aka 3047) but it becomes highly unnatural
to use (even allowing for antipodean inversion :) ). Good for pointing
high into the sky though (esp with a varimagni), as you mention below.

> The
>3047 head flips to the right, rather than left, but has a problem with

flips to the right (clockwise) with the plate "backwards"  (??)

>high angles. By mounting 'scope or camera pointing 'backwards', high
>angles are possible.

thanks
  Andrew