[OM] Re: eb*y- buying through the eyes of the seller

Subject: [OM] Re: eb*y- buying through the eyes of the seller
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 21:13:54 -0800
gordross@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Hi:
>
>This could be a topic for us to share some stories- I also could use some
>experienced opinions on a current purchase that I am trying to resolve.
>
>I bid on a Zuiko 24mmf2.8 on eb*y that was described thus-
>
>"Olympus Zuiko 24mm Wide Angle Lens.Glass in Excellent condition! The focus,
>aperture and depth of field are all working great!"
>
>I 'won' it at a very good price of $96.00

The price is in Fang territory, very low.

> on Nov 18, and finally received it Dec 23 or 27 anyway that was slowwwww!

I don't remember when eB*y's period for complaints starts, but he may be
trying to use it up befor you realize what's happening.

> The problem is that although the glass is fine and the lens works, the focus
> ring is very sloppy, it moves almost 1/4" until it 'connects' to focus up or
> down, it does focus but the play in the mechanism is not only annoying it
> makes quick adjustment very trying. A camera store that deals in OM quoted
> $75. CDN (about $50 USD) to repair it. I asked the seller to consider helping
> with the cost and got quite a return reply. He is a 'professional' who has
> used the lens and I am being acused of being a 'picky collecter' and if I
> want it to 'factory standards' that I can pay for all of it myself.

Pure BS.

> (hence the subject title). So tell me learned friends, regardless of the bid,
>  if advertised as 'working great' is it unreasonable on my part to expect
> that it is? Is that much play in the focus acceptable?

No. My 24/2.8, (and essentially all my lenses) has so little lash that
it isn't apparent even to sensitive fingers.

Here's the dilemma. You can look for a refund from the seller and maybe
end up going through the 'Bay's grievance procedure, etc. But will you
find a good lens for that price again? Or you can have it repaired and
still have a good fully serviced lens for a pretty good (depending on
cosmetic condition and extras, like caps, hood case, etc.) price.

I recently went through the same thing. I'd been looking for a
Manfrotte/Bogen 410 head for some time and got one at a very low price.
The problem? One of the adjustment knobs was way too stiff through over
half of each turn. I ordered replacement parts and fixed it up and asked
the seller to pay for the parts, not labor. He claimed to be a starving
student and pointed out correctly that I had a good price even after
buying the parts. He said he would take it back and give me a refund as
it was when I received it (I could return the parts) and likely sell it
for more than I paid next time, but couldn't afford a partial refund.
Like your seller, he claimed it was working fine for him before he sold
it. I had the tripod in hand, working perfectly at a good price,
althought not the steal I had hoped for, so I just kept it.

Moose