[OM] Re: eb*y- buying through the eyes of the seller

Subject: [OM] Re: eb*y- buying through the eyes of the seller
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 00:17:01 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Gordon J. Ross wrote:

>               I asked the seller to consider helping with the cost and got
> quite a return reply. He is a 'professional' who has used the lens and I
> am being acused of being a 'picky collecter' and if I want it to 'factory
> standards' that I can pay for all of it myself. (hence the subject title).
> So tell me learned friends, regardless of the bid,  if advertised as
> 'working great' is it unreasonable on my part to expect that it is?

Sorry to hear about your bad experience, unfortunatly it's becoming a very
common occurrence on eBay these days.  You are being very reasonable in your
request, but unfortunately if the other party doesn't agree then there's
really very little that you can do.  Although the lens isn't as described,
the fault is likely minor and is easily fixed.

> Is that much play in the focus acceptable?

No, that isn't acceptable.  What has likely happened is that the focusing
ring has slipped from the heliciod and now has some play in it.  To fix it
you will need to remove the rubber focusing grip by sliding a small tool
underneath it (I use a bamboo stick) to break free the glue.  Slide the
grip back and you'll see 3-4 small set screws.  It's likely those set screws
are loose.  When you tighten them you'll probably find the play will be gone.
You will need to re-calibrate the focusing ring with the helicoid before
tightening the screws.  To do that focus the lens on infinity (a subject
serveral km away is good), unscrew the set screws, set the focusing ring
at the infinity mark, and then tighten the set screws.  Put a dab of glue
(contact cement!) on the ring and slide the grip back on and you're done.
                                -mark