[OM] Re: eb*y- buying through the eyes of the seller

Subject: [OM] Re: eb*y- buying through the eyes of the seller
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 00:51:32 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 18 Jan 2004, Gordon J. Ross wrote:

> I do have another issue, I received a 35-70mmf3.6 zoom, that seemed to work
> OK but after a day or so it started to be very raspy when focussing, the
> zoom works smoothly, there doesn't appear to be any external damage, is this
> something that I can explore?

There's probably some grit in the helicoid and likely just needs a cleaning.
Its not exactly an easy fix, especially if you've never done it before, and
especially the 35-70/3.6! Unless you like trying to re-assemble the 100's
of ball bearings that will fall out when the lens is taken apart, I suggest
you send it off to someone who has worked on this lens before.  Don't give
it to just any repair shop.
                                -mark