[OM] Re: WTB: 300mm f4.5

Subject: [OM] Re: WTB: 300mm f4.5
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:24:35 -0800
on 1/19/04 2:32 PM, jonathan at jsarklay@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Evenin' all. Does any one have a Zuiko 300 f4.5 spare? or a worth while
> alternative. My 300mm is frustratingly un-sharp and needs to be replaced.
> any suggestions on alternatives would be much appreciated as I'm new to long
> telephotos and have no experience with them.
>
> Thanks guys
>
> jon

Jon - I'm not clear on why your "300mm is frustratingly un-sharp..." Is this
the Zuiko 300? In my experience it is usually very good for sharpness, and
if yours isn't perhaps an overhaul is in order. That would probably cost
less than any equivalent or better replacement. OTOH, if your current 300mm
is not a Zuiko then I can recommend that you look for a good one, it is a
very fine lens... I don't have a lot of experience with other 300's. I do
have a compact 300/5.6 mirror lens, but while it is nicely small, it
definitely gives up some in sharpness and contrast to the Zuiko.

Someday when I actually have an income again I hope to get a Tamron 300/2.8
lens, which is regarded quite well for the 'fast company' telephotos. They
seem to have come down in price somewhat lately, no doubt due to the move
towards digital and autofocus cameras by the masses... but still not cheap
enough for my 'off the end of unemployment' current income (which is all
outgo, basically).
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...