[OM] Re: WTB: 300mm f4.5

Subject: [OM] Re: WTB: 300mm f4.5
From: "jonathan" <jsarklay@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 13:50:34 -0000
Hi Jim, my 300mm is a very cheep Makinon f4. It really does not do justice
to my OM4 and needs to be relegated to the 'available to anyone who pays the
shipping' gear bag. I think that the Tamron 300/2.8 is my most likely
purchase. The Zuiko would be nice but the extra brightness of the Tamron
will probably come in useful during our long dark English winters.
Thanks for the advice

jon

>Jon - I'm not clear on why your "300mm is frustratingly un-sharp..." Is
this
>the Zuiko 300? In my experience it is usually very good for sharpness, and
>if yours isn't perhaps an overhaul is in order. That would probably cost
>less than any equivalent or better replacement. OTOH, if your current 300mm
>is not a Zuiko then I can recommend that you look for a good one, it is a
>very fine lens... I don't have a lot of experience with other 300's. I do
>have a compact 300/5.6 mirror lens, but while it is nicely small, it
>definitely gives up some in sharpness and contrast to the Zuiko.

>Someday when I actually have an income again I hope to get a Tamron 300/2.8
>lens, which is regarded quite well for the 'fast company' telephotos. They
>seem to have come down in price somewhat lately, no doubt due to the move
>towards digital and autofocus cameras by the masses... but still not cheap
>enough for my 'off the end of unemployment' current income (which is all
>outgo, basically).
>--

>Jim Brokaw
>OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...