[OM] Focusing Screens - Lurker whispers

Subject: [OM] Focusing Screens - Lurker whispers
From: "Walker, Tim" <Tim.Walker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 14:25:55 -0000
Hi All,
I've been watching this list from the dark lurking woods since I bought
my first OM4 about 6months ago. It's been great! (both the camera and
the list). I've learnt so much from you guys and want to thank you all
for your unknowing teachings! As a youngster (25) I was born to the
rising technology of automatic features (in life, as a whole really) and
lived and loved my Can*n E*S for a long time but, last year, made a
decision to return to my upbringing of OM cameras (my Dad gave me his
OM10 when I was.. oh, so small!) Anyway... I'm still constructing my kit
(this list doesn't help my bank balance as I'm always thinking 'oh, that
sounds interesting, that sounds good, better (think about) buy(ing)
that.." etc.) but am pretty happy with my OM4, Zuiko 50 & 28mm and (last
weekends purchase) Tamron SP 70-210 F3.8-4. I *had* intended to get some
suggestions from the list on what zoom to go for (yes, ideally, I'd have
chosen a range of Zuiko primes but can't afford that, at present) but
didn't know what email address to send my message to!! <blushes with
embarrassment! - thanks for the help Thomas!> but, from what I've read,
the Tamron isn't a bad choice. So, I'll get around to my point (and I'm
sorry if this has been discussed a million times before), does anyone
have any advice on brighter focusing screens. I haven't tried the zoom
in low light yet but the guy in the shop suggested I get a Beattie (?)
screen to improve the viewfinder image. Is this really necessary?
(bearing in mind I don't have great eyesight <wears glasses/contacts>
and do take quite a lot of early morning shots in murky British weather)
Is the Beattie only useful for the zoom and would I need to change back
to my original screen when using the 28mm/50mm or can it always remain
in the camera? Can you buy them secondhand in the UK (if so, where?) (I
see them for sale new in AP for about 90GBP) and are they easy to fit?
I hope someone will spare a moment to help me with my dreadfully basic
questions! Thanks in advance and I promise to get some web space with my
pictures up soon(ish!) Oh, and a belated Happy New Year to you all!

Tim