[OM] Re: B&W developing and stuff...

Subject: [OM] Re: B&W developing and stuff...
From: Gregg Iverson <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 23:12:39 -0500

>All this talk of developer and HP5 and Tri-X has got me all fired up, dug
>out my developing gear and ordered up some chemicals.

Have fun.  My mantra was "over expose and under develop", or was that
....  Seriously, it is fun to have more control of the process.

>However, I remember my main problem being drying the films. This is a
>pretty dusty environment. How do you regular 'soupers' dry the film?

I found the easiest, cleanest and safest way for me was to keep the film in
the Nicor reels, rinse them in Photoflo, shake the liquid off vigorously,
then drop them into a mailing tube (I think I might try PVC now) to which I
had attached a small fan (like a computer cooling fan) on the bottom.  I
would put a piece of soft foam over the fan opening to keep the dust
out.  I did not use any heat.  The films would be done by the time I had
processed another batch of negatives.

I know of others who used distilled water after the Photoflo, but I never
had any spots as long as I mixed the Photoflo correctly.

gregg