[OM] Re: 1-4 & 2-4 Focussing Screens vs. Beattie

Subject: [OM] Re: 1-4 & 2-4 Focussing Screens vs. Beattie
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 12:22:46 -0800
gries@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>The 2-4 exhibited none of these problems, but I do find it more difficult to
>focus fast primes such as the 28/2, 50/1.2 and 85/2.  In this regard, the 1-4
>(not 1-4n) is much better as the central matte area is bigger and seems
>"sharper" to me.

As indeed it should. The eSIF says of the 1-4 "The large central circle
is slightly finer matted, which can be helpful with macro photography
and in low light conditions."

The entry for the 1-4n doesn't say that. I presume the smaller size of
the central circle (to match the spot meter coverage of the 3 & 4 series
bodies) is so small it either wasn't practical and/or wasn't worth the
trouble to have a different matte characteristic in it.

Moose