[OM] [OT] glue recommendation?

Subject: [OM] [OT] glue recommendation?
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:42:49 -0500
At 3:42 AM +0100 1/22/04, Listar wrote:
>From: "Mickey  Trageser" <Gad-Zuiks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] [OT] glue recommendation?
>Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:37:15 -0500
>

>We've spoken of many glues and adhesives. I need to find a good candidate to
>re-assemble a broken plaster hand print relief. I know I may as well be
>trying to reconstruct a tree from fireplace ash, but it's a sentimental
>thing.
>
>Any suggestions?

Yes.  Carpenter's (yellow) wood glue, also known as Titebond (in the US).

The main issue will be holding the pieces together as the glue dries.

Keeping the glue from sticking to the fixtures is also an issue.  I would
either use polyethylene film as a release sheet, or wax the fixtures (using
paste wax from a hardware store).  Although grease will also work, it's very
hard to keep from getting it on the plaster, and impossible to remove from the
plaster.

It's best to clean the excess glue off after the glue has gelled and before
it's fully hard, especially when gluing something delicate like plaster.

Plaster is cheap.  I would buy (or make) a plaster something, break it, and
practice on it a few times before going live on the hand cast.

Joe Gwinn