[OM] Re: Some digest stats

Subject: [OM] Re: Some digest stats
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 22:07:37 -0800
on 1/21/04 8:23 PM, Mike at watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> I'm not sure I get the point, Mike? Are you saying that there somehow are
>> problems with the digest?
>>
>> --thomas
>>
> Thomas, There are no technical problems  and the post was meant as a
> constructive review of the post change digest.. The digest is better now
> with the stripping of html. I would guess that there is an approximate
> reduction of unnecessary text of about 10%. However the actual fresh
> posts even counting headers still make up only about 1/3  of the digest
> content, i.e. twice as much garbage as content. The rest is quoted text,
> signatures, etc.  This result based on my informal survey of the last
> digest  (my previous post).  I would suggest that to get a meaningful
> reduction in clutter a limit on quoted text must be put in place. Maybe
> shoot for a reversal of the present content/garbage ratio of 1:2
>
> Mike

I don't know that I'd care for a limit on quoted text... Maybe some posters
are unaware that the list (old and new both...) add a significant amount of
verbiage to the bottom of every post. I'll include it here, but you'll see
it over and over...

List Problem"

This is then added again when the post is requoted, unless the person
sending the 'reply' takes the time to strip it off the quoted text. I often
see posts with this tagline text repeated two or three times at the end and
in the middle, along with the blank lines interspersed through it. I think
this is what Mike's getting at.

Even if we don't trim the 'editorial content' of any post when replying,
there's still a bunch of extraneous text that could be deleted easily with a
few seconds effort... I try to remember to do this, but probably I've missed
it at times, like everyone here.

One of my other lists (VFR motorcycle) doesn't allow any posting that
includes the tagline text... the list refuses to post the reply based on its
containing the tagline text. Is it possible a similar filter could be
implemented on this list? That way at least each post would only have the
tagline text added at the bottom only once...
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...