[OM] Re: Films - was:Everdon Northamptonshire

Subject: [OM] Re: Films - was:Everdon Northamptonshire
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 20:08:10 -0800 (PST)
Bob wrote:
>One comment I'd add about the PanF is that the highlights can
>block up fairly quickly.  I tend to shoot it at 50, but will
>hold just a bit on development.
>However, if you have used the Oriental Seagull paper you'll
>know that it brings detail back into the highlights with very
>little effort.  That's been a great combo for me!

I haven't used the Oriental Seagull papers in anger yet, but
know that for some negatives it is the cat's meow.

There are two techniques I use to bring back detail in blocked
up highlights:  Split-grade printing and paper flashing.  Paper
flashing works better for courser grained films (HP5, TriX, TMY)
and Split-grade works better for fine grained films.

PanF+ in DD-X is a bit more resiliant to blocking than in a
developer such as D76.  Also, there is a big difference between
PanF and PanF+ in highlights.  PanF+ has a much shorter shoulder
than PanF.  Yet, this is one area where Delta 100 rules.

AG-Schnozz