[OM] On topic - Book recommendation, goals and other ramblings - long

Subject: [OM] On topic - Book recommendation, goals and other ramblings - long
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 13:20:07 EST
Fellow Zuikoheads, late last year I posted a message about the importance of
goals in one's life.  The importance of sharing them with others was also
mentioned.  After that post I clammed up.  The day to come clean has arrived
and
it is today.  I will share some of the goals which involve my photography and
then suggest a book/project I'm in the midst of currently. The goals-
1) Submit two prints to our club competition each month this year.  That is
22 prints.  The 2 for January are ready to go.
2) Submit one print per month to a national publication for potential
publication.  The one for January has been forwarded to Shutterbug magazine for
their
"Picture This!" feature for possible inclusion in their May 2004 issue.  The
topic is, Signs Of The Times.  The submission is in my not so modest opinion a
good one and I expect it to get selected.  (Experience has shown me more good
things happen when I expect them to happen, so I expect this one to be
selected)
3) Teach a class in photography.  My class, "Demystifying the Box, an
introduction to how a camera works", begins on February 5th and runs 5
consecutive
Thursdays through March 4th.  I have 5 students and they are people who own
cameras and are who don't understand the basics.  It is to be an informal
lecture
and discussion with 4 class assignments (shoot a roll on film with specific
objectives assigned).
4) Present a program to the Houston Photographic Society at their monthly
meeting.  My presentation will occur on February 10th and will deal with
getting
your photography to the next level and beyond. This 2 hour program will
included a 45 minute video, a short lecture and some visioning exercises.
5) Spend two days each week (Monday & Wednesday) in Brazos Bend State Park
walking, bike riding, observing, meditating and photographing or if the weather
doesn't permit at home writing.  The goal is to experience personal growth and
to generate photographs and written material for publication.  This one has
not gotten off the ground yet, although the conversation has begun.  It will be
up and running by the end of February (Hmm, another goal made public. Please
hold me accountable.)
6) To participate in formal classes/workshops which will have me grow this
year.  I am currently enrolled in a twelve week workshop, am enrolled to two
one-week classes with Rocky Mountain School of Photography (one in March and
another in July) and have a couple of other one day programs on the calendar.

OK, that is all you get today about the goals, however as most can see a
rather busy year has been planned and one that will carry me beyond where I was
before the beginning of the year.  It is important for me to say, I've never
taught a class, presented a 2 hour program or had anything published in a
national publication.  That should put things into perspective.

Now, something else I'm really excited about.  Over the past 3 years or so,
since I picked up a camera again after a 28 year nap, several people had
suggested I read "the Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron.  That suggestion, became
recurring one and toward the end of December, I received an email invitation to
participate in a 12 week workshop based on this work.  I said yes to the
invitation and began the workshop this past Wednesday night.  The book is a
course
in discovering and recovering your creative self.  It requires rigorous work
and commitment. I expect it to be one of those landmark experiences in my life.

Yes, remember, if you expect good things, you will get good things.  The
course can be done by oneself, however mine is being done with 14 other people
and
being facilitated by a person who has facilitate this course 8 or 9 times
previously.  For any out there in Zuikoland, who would like to get in touch, in
significant way, with your creative self, I would encourage you to go get the
book and see where it might lead you.  You might also do a google search (or
some other search) and see what folks in cyberspace are saying about Julia
Cameron and "the Artist's Way".

The bottom line for all of this is: Set goals for yourself in areas of your
life which are important to you and be truly open to the possibilities life
presents to you.  Have 2004 reflect the wonderfulness and expressed potential
each of you is for the world.  Bill Barber