[OM] Tripods and security guards

Subject: [OM] Tripods and security guards
From: James Royall <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 15:09:33 +0000
I decided to buy the Slik tripod I asked about last week and got a
Manfrotto head to go with it. Yesterday was forecast to be good in
London so I spent a couple of hours on Saturday chasing down the thread
adaptor to mount the head on the pod. At 8am yesterday I arrived at
Canary Wharf and get stopped at various points by no less than three
security guards, the last of which tells me I need a permit from the
press office to use a tripod. Apparently the whole place is private
property. I could do what I want hand held. I decided to call it quits
and return with the permit that would let me 'access all areas'. So I
headed into The City where patterns on a building site appeal. I set up
to again be asked to stop taking photos by a site guard who really
seemed like he had nothing better to do. The same thing happened when I
borrowed a tripod and went over to the London Eye before Christmas
(another piece of private land apparently). I didn't realise that a
tripod brings with it such suspicion and prohibition. Is this just a UK
phenomenon? Is it just something you have to get used to if you want to
get a steady shot? I never thought that I would be stopped so much just
wandering the streets.

James