[OM] Re: Tripods and security guards

Subject: [OM] Re: Tripods and security guards
From: Joshua Putnam <josh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:38:33 -0800
andrew fildes wrote:

> A bicycle with a handlebar mount and a side stand might work too. Set
> the shot up while pretending to adjust the cables or something
> similar. At least you could get away from the security boneheads
> faster and it would be useful for those moving night shots of yours
> too, Wayne.

I have an OM mount for the rear rack of my bicycle. It's more stable
than the handlebars. The bike has a two-legged center stand instead of
the more common side stand, so it stays level side-to-side when parked.

I actually made the mount for taking pictures while riding. It cradles
the winder of my OM-1 in balsa on a dense rubber base for shock
absorption, and has a pushbutton on the handlebars to run the winder.
Used with a reasonably wide lens and fast film, it's great for getting
shots of groups of riders, as long as I can get ahead of them. (Once
tore an Achilles tendon sprinting to get ahead of a paceline descending
a mountain pass. Ouch! But good photos up to that point. That's why pro
cycling photographers are on the backs of motorcycles, not bicycles.)

--
josh@xxxxxxxxx is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>