[OM] Re: OT British weather, was Tripods and security guards

Subject: [OM] Re: OT British weather, was Tripods and security guards
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 10:30:33 +0000
The trouble is, in my view, that they now rely too heavily on computers
to predict the weather.  Timing for weather systems has always posed
problems, but with decent plotting of weather systems and a bit of
experience our met men in the RAF could make a reasonable fist of
giving you today's weather and tomorrow's.  Now the the Met Office
tries to provide a 5 day forecast to keep their corporate customers
happy and they reduce manning to save on costs.  The result is a
computer-generated product that has no experience built-in.  Even
today's weather can be out on timing because local met men are not
allowed to use their local knowledge (of topography etc...) to refine
the "official" forecast.  At where I fly from there is a valley to the
west that tends to slow systems to a halt and the official timing of
weather is almost always flawed.

OM content I might use my OMs to satisfy the BBC's request for
photographs of cloud systems.

Chris

On 27 Jan 2004 , at 9:18, Gordon Caines wrote:

> You know what they say about weathermen......Seventy thousand a year
> and they don't even have to be right.

<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.