[OM] Re: [OT] Getting close, but with a twist

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Getting close, but with a twist
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:41:41 -0500
The big issue with the smaller sensored cameras is that the lenses have to have
very short focal lengths.  This means that the inherent DOF is very large.
This will likely not be overcome by very many cameras.  Why?  Consumers don't
know enough to use such a camera, and DSLR's that are used by knowledgable pros
are more versatile and price-effective.

What if it had these characteristics?

- Fast 7 - 22.5 mm f/2-2.4 ASPH. zoom lens (equivalent to a 28 - 90 mm zoom
lens on a 35 mm camera)
- 2/3" CCD sensor with 5.0 million pixels
- Analog photography feeling conveyed by manual setting possibilities directly
at the lens
- Transfer-reflexive 2,5 display
- Electronic viewfinder with 235,000 pixels that covers 100% of the picture
being taken
- Use of high-grade materials and precision fabrication

This is the new, Leica Digilux 2, a rebadged Panasonic camera.  It may be nice,
but at a ridiculous price of $1,800.

Skip