[OM] Re: 'Speedy' OM-4 lightmeter

Subject: [OM] Re: 'Speedy' OM-4 lightmeter
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:09:44 -0800
It is possible that this is a fairly simple and not uncommon problem.
The asa/exposure compensation dials simply move electrical wiper
contacts over fixed contacts (or VR, doesn't matter) below. These
contacts are covered with a non conducting grease that prevents
oxidation of the contact surfaces. If that grease is dried up or
displaced, oxidation can break the electrical contact and lead to odd,
often inconsistent behavior of the metering. One quick thing to try is
running the asa dial back and forth a number of times, which will
sometimes break up the oxidation. If that works, it does accurately
diagnose the problem and restore function, but doesn't really fix it, so
it is likely to recur. Regreasing is then the long term answer.

I have fixed such a problem on an OMPC, but caution that I am only an
amateur repairer for myself. I don't know the electronics of the OM-4
well enough to know if the specific symptoms point to the problem. I do
know that this is the one problem that occurs with OM-4 metering that
can often be diagonosed and temporarily restored to operation by the user.

Moose