[OM] Re: Anyone with tips on shooting a large group?

Subject: [OM] Re: Anyone with tips on shooting a large group?
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 23:36:23 -0500
Cc: tourtelot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
I shot the track team for my daugher's elementary/middle school last year,
which was a group of about 60.  I did it outside, with a supplementary strobe
to fill in the shadows with a borrowed Pentax 6x7, standing on a ladder.  The
4000 dpi scans were about 250 Meg each.

With 35mm, I'd use an ultra-fine film like Delta 100.  Also, shoot 4-6 shots of
each group.  I had to scan 4 different shots and move the heads around in
Photoshop to get acceptable expressions and a lack of gestures with such a
large group of kids.  Otherwise, you risk the errant kid with a middle finder
up...or a couple of them with their eyes closed.  Even with my efforts, there
were some jokers that I just couldn't eliminate.

Here's a link to the final product
http://www.skipwilliams.adahost.com/data/Team-Picture-2003-cropped-s.jpg

Skip