[OM] Re: Camera Bags

Subject: [OM] Re: Camera Bags
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 00:37:16 -0700
Get ready for a lengthy thread on this one. There are so many options and
different sets of needs by individuals that the favorites differ greatly.
LowePro probably has the most complete line of bags and their quality is
excellent. Many others are also excellent and they all have little design
differences that frequently drive the purchase decisions. I have some of the
LowePro OmniPro bags and really like them. They are shaped like a brief case
and open from the large side or from the top if sitting on the edge. They
fit under an airline seat or between bucket seats in a car. They don't look
like a camera bag which some people like. They fit into a waterproof and
dustproof hard shell Pelican case for really rough duty. I've never cared
for the backpack type bags because to get at your gear you have to sit them
down on the surface that goes next to your back and if it's wet that gets
unpleasant. I just bought a backpack type bag that opens on the side next to
your back. This thing is made by a company called Subject that makes mostly
bags for skateboarding equipment. Why they made a camera bag I don't know
but they have discontinued it. A dealer here has three left at $75. The bag
has a really different series of pockets and seems to be well made. It
balances well on the back. I could post some photos if anyone is interested.
The dealer told me he could probably ship to a US address (lower 48) for
about $7. /jim