[OM] Some comments regarding my Ebay service.

Subject: [OM] Some comments regarding my Ebay service.
From: Markus Haukebøe <markus@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 14:15:38 +0100
Hi everybody.

Thank you all for feedback regarding my new service.  It's the feedback that
makes the effort fun, and it encourages me to improve the service.  The site
usage have been overwhelming, and that's great.

Some comments on the service:

I know that Ebay is a far from perfect source for making statistically
correct reports.  On the other hand, Ebay is one of the biggest marketplaces
for turning OM equipment, and its digital nature makes it a rather easy
source for report making.  And since "everybody" on the list has their
opinion on Ebay as a source and marketplace, I guess most of you will have
some kind of interest in the price development.

I've got a lot of feedback regarding the statistical measures used, and
those are easily implemented.  This will be one of my first changes to the
site.

My reports do not list the items state or version (i.e. Multicoated or
Single coating).  This is simply because it would greatly raise the effort
needed for daily updates, and many items lack this kind of information.  The
services providing this information (Gary Reese/Skip) are far better than
mine, if that's the kind of information you are looking for.  I'm not trying
to provide a service that replaces those, but I'm trying to give a useful
complementary source for price development information.

The inspiration for making this site came mainly from the services provided
by Gary and Skip.  What I myself have experienced (here in Norway) is that
OM items have generally changed their price levels over the last years.
Especially the announcement for discontinuation of the system influenced the
turnover and price levels.  It started as a simple project monitoring some
vital OM items, and ended up as the service provided on the net.

What I'm offering is an up to date list, including most (if not all) of the
relevant Ebay auctions, and giving the user an opportunity to go directly to
the auction.  My guess is that this is a useful service both for people new
to the system, and more experienced OM addicts knowing exactly what the
items are, and what kind of versions where made of each item.

Regards,

Markus