[OM] Re: Camera Bags

Subject: [OM] Re: Camera Bags
From: Regan Conley <reganconley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 11:36:59 -0500
I'm guessing that the reason there weren't lots of replies to the
original question is that few of us are really truly happy with what
we're using.  I have a large, padded bag with foam/velcro inserts,
several outside pockets, tripod straps, etc. that came from REI maybe 15
years ago.  It was a gift and I've never taken it out of the house.  Too
big, too bulky, and screams "Steal me."  I have a more recently aquired
mini Lowepro - enough room for a body with lens, an extra lens, some
film, some gadgets, and an outside pockets.  Nice size, nice weight,
opens from the top and away from the body.  But its turned out to be a
bit too small for me.  I still need another bag to carry around all the
rest of my stuff (wallet, sweater, house keys, guidebook if I'm
travelling, etc.).  Plus it can't do a tripod.  So inevitably I turn to
my old Caribou bag:  Grey bike messenger style bag bought in a local
bike shop when I was in high school.  Bottom zipper to expand.  No
padding, but I've thrown it in the washing machine a few times over the
years.   Its indestructible, low profile, roomy enough for whatever I
need.  Drawbacks:  No padding, no small pockets.