[OM] Re: Camera Bags

Subject: [OM] Re: Camera Bags
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 12:09:06 +0000
Unless you had a brightly coloured material, I don't think that there
would be much difference Cy.  Furthermore, I don't think that a darker
colour actually "radiates" heat.  All it does is absorb more heat if
there is heat to be absorbed.

Good choice with the 206.  It is my favourite camera bag, but I prefer
to carry the Hadley or the Packington as it does not appear to be a
camera bag and therefore I tend to be labelled not as a camera geek,
but perhaps as a dedicated traveller of some other sort ;-)

Chris

On 2 Feb 2004 , at 10:20, CyberSimian wrote:

> Several people in this thread have commented that they have black
> camera
> bags.  Is black really such a good choice?
>
> When you are out in the hot sun, black will ensure that your camera
> bag (and
> its contents) heat up as quickly as possible.  A white bag would keep
> the
> contents cool for a long as possible.
>
> At the other extreme, since a black surface radiates heat more quickly
> than
> any other colour, a black bag in subzero temperatures will cool the
> contents
> as rapidly as possible (not the best environment for silver oxide
> batteries!).  A white bag would delay the cooling for as long as
> possible.
>
> Of course, white loses out in the practicality stakes, quickly becoming
> dirty.  But for temperature control, a light colour must surely be
> better
> than a dark colour.
>
> Me?  I have the Billingham 206 in khaki with tan leather fittings.
>
> -- from Cy in the UK
<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.