[OM] Re: Camera Bags

Subject: [OM] Re: Camera Bags
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 12:37:24 -0000
OK, I need to regain some respect from Fred Winterbottom (see earlier
posts!)...

You're both right and wrong.

Darker coloured bodies transmit heat more effectively than lighter coloured
bodies.

So if your bag contents are warmer than the surroundings, they will cool -
by radiating their relative heat - quicker in a dark bag than in a light bag
(and heat up quicker if they are colder than the surroundings).  A light
coloured bag will provide better heat insulation (keeping heat in, as well
as keeping heat out) than a dark bag.

Perhaps this explains why polar bears are white not black - it's unlikely to
be for camouflage, after all, since there's no predator to spot them, and
the prey are under the ice, so it must be because they keep warmer that way!
>From which we can deduce that there is less heat to be absorbed from the sun
up there than can be generated from digestion of seals.

Piers