[OM] Re: OT rant, Disgusting Half-Time Show Antics

Subject: [OM] Re: OT rant, Disgusting Half-Time Show Antics
From: Gregg Iverson <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 22:10:15 -0500

>Usually, the singing of the national anthem is
>about as much as I can stand of many of today's so-called hip
>entertainers.

I was surprised that this time it was actually very impressive.  The girl,
Bianca or something like that, did a fine job.  It really showed a contrast
with the other  MTV group from half time.  She was surprisingly classy for
one of todays "artists".

>Not sure of whether or not it was a accident or not but think that people
>are making more of it than necessary.

Many parents work hard to monitor what their children see on TV and other
media.  This was not MTV or HBO or some other similiar channe.

>Certainly it was not appropiate to have that kind of thing in such a
>televised event
>that many kids watch. I don't think that it will spoil their lives or
>morality in the future. There are more "dangerous things" that can do that,
>for example, TV commercials that shove to you the idea that to be succesful
>in life you have to own stuff no matter if you need it or not. This, in my
>humble opinion, springs out the worst of us. Or, as another example, the
>"spectacle" of live war on the news networks. Showing bombs that drop on
>people and destroy cities with all the computerized almost video-game-like
>Special Effects is much much worst than seeing Mrs. Jackson's boob.
>Morality is much more than sex.

I think, from hearing much of the commentary, that it was the lack of
control of programming that bothered many.  Yes, this sort of thing has
already appeared on HBO, MTV and maybe even the Grammies.  But this was not
supposed to be such a show.

>And anywhere else Ahhnold wouldn't be made governor with such an intense
>fervor.

In much of the country, Hillary wouldn't be in office either!  :-)

gregg