[OM] Re: OT: Treadwell and Bears

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Treadwell and Bears
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 23:50:39 +0100

Chris

Your mention of Algonquin Park caught my eye. There are absolutely no
Grizzlies, but plenty of Black bears. They are not normally very dangerous,
but will go after food if you have not hung it high up. Under no
circumstances should you keep food in the tents; it could be fatal. Another
thing that can give problems are if any of the women in the party have
their periods. When we were living nearby, two women were killed in their
sleeping bags by a bear; they were having their periods at the time.....

Roger Key

Chris Barker wrote:

Nice to hear from someone else who has a 50-250 ;-)  But I'm afraid
that it isn't long enough for photographing Grizzlies.

I went off List to reply to Jim's posta, but here is what I wrote:

> Some of our students are going on a canoeing expedition to Algonquin
> Park, Ontario in the late Summer.  I have been checking their site for
> news of Grizzlies, but they mention only Black bear (herbivore?).
> However, I have just found a travel brochure which tells me that there
> is a colony of Grizzlies in British Columbia...

C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.