[OM] Re: [OT] PW Pro, was: can your digital do this?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] PW Pro, was: can your digital do this?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 19:27:06 -0500
Tris Schuler wrote:
> Actually you can beat the price (or could) by buying into Paint Shop Pro,
> which is more powerful still with a similarly user-friendly (for my money
> more intuitive) interface than what Adobe has managed over the years.

Yup, I have that too.  Don't like it very much.  I just upgraded to
version 8 to see if it's any better but haven't tried it yet.

> But no way Jose do either programs approach the sophistication of
> Photoshop, and when it comes to third-party interest and practical support
> the latter beats the competition (if you can call it that) in that area
> hands down as well.

Sorry, I didn't mean to stir up the PS gurus or imply in any way that PW
Pro is more sophisticated than PS... just easier to use, a lot cheaper
and has never failed to do what I need it to do.  My needs are pretty
simple; do a little "natural retouching" on portraits, a slight bit of
unsharp mask and then off to the professional printer for the final
sharpening and color tweaking.  Suits me fine.  btw, PW Pro 3.5 has what
is supposed to be a new and improved usm called "advance sharpen" but I
haven't tried that yet either.

I continue to study and use PS because I have to when working in the
other guy's office.  But I don't have to like it.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA