[OM] Re: OT: Treadwell and Bears

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Treadwell and Bears
From: Gregg Iverson <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 21:03:28 -0500

> > What I meant was that Grizzlies are carnivores and will attack humans
> > as food, perhaps just like Polar bears - although I did not know that
> > Polar bears, sweet cuddly things that they are ;-), actually hunted
> > humans.

How do Polar bears describe igloos?  Hard and crunchy on the outside, soft
and chewy on the inside.

>I accept that I am a novice when it comes to large carnivores; however,
>it seems to me that the Grizzly is quite content to eat humans, perhaps
>especially when food is scarce or difficult to catch.  I don't think
>that I shall walk quite so placidly in the woods again ... ;-)

How do you tell the difference between a black bear and a Grizzly bear?

The black bear will climb a tree to get to you, while the Grizzly will push
the tree over.

Folk lore used to say to wear a small bell on your pack while hiking in
bear country,  but I had heard that in the last few years bears had
actually been tracking humans by the sound of the bell in some localities.

gregg