[OM] Re: Question: Olympus XA meter

Subject: [OM] Re: Question: Olympus XA meter
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 00:02:08 EST
Everyone, sorry for the multiple posts. I was using a computer at work
through a different internet connection, and it was acting up. I'm trying a
different one now.

Hi all,

I picked up another XA today. The seller told me up front that the meter
needle was acting up, but he said when he put in new batteries, it seemed to
work
properly.

Upon receiving the camera today, the meter needle was jumping all over the
place, and when it finally did settle down, it seemed to indicate a shutter
speed about 4 stops slower than my other 'good' XA.  Funny thing though, was
when
i moved the focusing lever, the meter would move. So i double-checked the
batteries, they were the right kind and voltage was right on. I don't know if
the
XA has any mechanical contacts to give a workout to, or they're all
electronic, but I worked the ASA and aperture controls a bit, and the meter
seems to now
work properly, and is agreeing within 1 stop of my other XA.

My question is, do you think the XA will benefit from being used and have a
chance of settling down, or do you think the electronics are bad?

Thanks,
George S.