[OM] Re: OT: Treadwell and Bears

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Treadwell and Bears
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 11:18:38 -0700
My wife is paralyzed so we travel in a motor home that is like a little
medical lab, hospital, photo studio combination. We just stop wherever we
get tired and have never had any trouble with bad folks. We try to stay with
groups of trucks or places with good visibility. We also travel very well
armed. I always prepare for the worst and that way it never happens. That
would be a problem for me in Canada as I don't know what I would do with the
arsenal when on that side of the border. I guess I would hide something and
lie about it. Canada's firearms regulations seem to favor the bad guys. Not
a good subject to debate on the list though. My biggest problem with
Canadians is that they seem to be very poor drivers, at least when they pass
through here. Two Canadian rigs ran off the road yesterday and were totaled
but the people had seat belts on and were OK. We have some awful drivers
here but the Canadians make them look better. That's a little
tongue-in-cheek as we have some very poor drivers. Incidentally, Yellowstone
has very strict restrictions on carrying firearms too. Every year some
hikers get mauled and sometimes killed by bears and bison. Usually things
happen very quickly and a firearm may not be that much help anyway.
Photographers tend to get way too close to animals that look calm and tame
but that can be very dangerous. Photographing someone's flowers can be
hazardous to your health too....so, what the hell, we'll go out in a blaze
of glory. /jim